Author Topic: Dining Room Render  (Read 941 times)

Offline leo de brito

Dining Room Render
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:16:42 pm »
Hello guys. I want to share with you my first interior scene render. I did it only for fun/practicing. Until now I've been doing only products. I hope you guys enjoy it. I do. :)

This is a SketchUp scene shared by Architecture Inspirations on this link: https://gumroad.com/l/AI1
The scene came with textures but I mainly used personal textures and KS materials.

Offline NM-92

• Behance
Re: Dining Room Render
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:51:14 am »
Nice one ! Two things i think are bringing this down are:

1- You have a lot of artifacts floating around. They are mostly noticeable on the table. This is very difficult to avoid, specially in interiors, but there are several threads talking about this so you can check the possible solutions offered.

2- The floor texture seems to be low res. I'd try to pick one with better quality.

I like the composition and the elements you picked.

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »
Thanks a lot for the comments. Just, I´m not sure what you mean with artifacts floating around. Could you explain me better? Thanks!

Offline NM-92

• Behance
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:37:24 am »
Artifacts = white little bright spots, fireflies, bright dots. They have many names, like the devil. :P

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:03:39 am »
Hahahahha.. I see. Yep, infact as you can see in the image attached, there were all over. I started cleaning it up in Photoshop but hey, when it came to clean the tabble, I was tired and left it. I will look for the threads you mentioned. Anyway, do you have any advice? I tryed many things and couldnt find a solution. Thanks mate.

Offline NM-92

• Behance
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:20:10 am »
There are a ton of tips regarding this issue, and they all narrow down to trial and error. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. In most of the cases they appear in rough materials. Increasing the individual samples of that materials could work. Using 100% white values in lights/materials colors can also produce this effect, and working with physical lights, such as IES, area, point will increase the chances of having them in your scene. Dries gave a pretty solid explanation regarding this subject but i cannot find the link so maybe someone else can help with this.

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Ok. I checked some articles related to this issue and I found out what was the problem. I had a small fisical light source with a big amout of light just behind my camera. Once I turned it off, good bye fireflies! :)

Thanks a lot for your help! ;)

Offline rfollett

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 03:18:37 am »
looks great, can you show a lighting setup?

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 07:08:51 am »
looks great, can you show a lighting setup?

It´s actually quite simple. I have a big window on the right side where a HDRI light goes through. I also have a plane, bigger than the window it self, placed just out side the window to help with the light. Then, as the left side got too dark, I placed a plane (2 x 1 mts) on the left side within Area Light material on it.
That´s it! :) If you want, I can send you the scene file.

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:13:34 am »
I took NM-92 advices and changed the floor texture and got rid of the fireflies. This is the result!

Offline rfollett

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 01:37:39 am »
would love the scene file, I will PM you my email address - many thanks Leo

Offline JonWelch

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 06:33:26 am »
That last shot is looking great man. I love the lighting! But I will say, just watch the bump map you have on the wood floor. It looks like it might be a strong bump and is minimizing any polish/reflectivity it could have. But that also boils down to personal preference. Either way this shot has progressed nicely. Good work.

Offline leo de brito

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 12:29:59 pm »
That last shot is looking great man. I love the lighting! But I will say, just watch the bump map you have on the wood floor. It looks like it might be a strong bump and is minimizing any polish/reflectivity it could have. But that also boils down to personal preference. Either way this shot has progressed nicely. Good work.

Yep. I agree with you. I was aware of it when doing this render but then, I said to my self, you know, move on to the next one and let go the perfectionism. Usually I´m too perfectionist and sometimes it holds me back on the learning process. It´s my first interior scene, that´s good for now. :) Thanks a lot for taking your time to write down. Cheers bro!

Offline Josh Mings

• Global Moderator
    • keyshot.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »
I just love this scene Leo. I think reworking it was totally worth it. Very, very nice!