Author Topic: Half-Life logo  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Nerowulf

Half-Life logo
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:37:30 am »
Hey. I just wanted to try out a technique, and see how it turned out. The model itself isn't anything special, just a nice test-model ;)

My goal was to make the model look used. I rendered the model two times. One time with the orange paint (first image), and a second time with the base metal. Then in Photoshop, I placed the metal-piece on top, and removed most of it (Layer-mask), so only small traces of metal is shown. Also added a texture to it, though it barely shows.

I got a tips from someone else to use a bumpmap. I might add that next time.

First with only the paint:

Then add metal-trace for worn out effect:

Critic and tips are as always very welcome.

Offline brettcasteel

Re: Half-Life logo
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:19:18 am »
I really like your image!

I would love to see a blend material in Keyshot (i dont think they have one yet). I use to use this material type in another software and it would let you pick 2 of your materials and set another image or material as a mask so you could set how much of the bottom material showed thru.

Offline Philrider7

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:51 am »
Nice effects, its remind me of my old times with c4d and i had a blend material!

Offline JeffM

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:05 pm »
Looks awesome!

guest84672

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:22:20 pm »
Very nice!

Offline jjeconomaki

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:36 pm »
That is cool looking!

-John

Offline Richman

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »
slick!  very nice.  Looks like a bit of color balancing/curves adjustments too.  Can you post the raw metal render that you used?

Offline ambarbandi

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:08 pm »
Nice render..... can u share the image rendered with base metal. I am very new to rendering so just want to understand the whole idea.

thanks
Ambar

Offline Nerowulf

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:55:27 pm »
The material I used was nothing special, just Orange Paint, were I altered the setting a bit. And I used an outdoor-HDRI. The metal I don't remember, but it doesn't really matter that much anyway, since it barely shows.

I might have changed the Metal roughness/coverage a bit (don't remember), but not much. (Not sure if I saved the last edited Keyshot-setup)

slick!  very nice.  Looks like a bit of color balancing/curves adjustments too.  Can you post the raw metal render that you used?
The first image (that I posted) is original from Keyshot (only adjusted the background itself, not the model). The second one I added a texture on top, and used Overlay, and tuned down the opacity, which made the model a bit lighter.

When you ask for the raw metal render, do you mean the settings that I posted now, or do you mean a keyshot render without any photo editing? If you mean the metal, I don't remember, probably basic steel or something.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:10:39 am by Nerowulf »

Offline ambarbandi

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:44 am »
hey thanks very much for sharing the information..... :)

Offline Chad Holton

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:45 am »
Nice!  :)

Offline feher

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »
Looks good !
Thanks for sharing
Tim

Offline xcut0r

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:17 pm »
nice work, simple and interesting  ! :)

Offline Richman

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »
Did you use the same HDRI on both images of the composite?

Offline Nerowulf

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:11 am »
Did you use the same HDRI on both images of the composite?
Yeah, I think so.